Certificates and Licensures
The Department of Teacher Education and Higher Education offers in three academic areas: elementary mathematics, reading education, and teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL). Each of these programs offers opportunities for teachers with their A or M license. TESOL offers a certificate program for students with a baccalaureate degree who are interested in teaching English in settings other than public schools.
Welcome to the Elementary Mathematics Add-on Licensure program at UNCG. The EMAoL program at UNCG offers an add-on licensure program to prepare teacher candidates working in elementary school environments.
If you are:
- an experienced elementary teacher seeking additional add-on licensure to your existing A or M licensure in Elementary Education
- a candidate seeking the EMAoL to be able to become an elementary mathematics specialist (I.e. curriculum facilitator)
Then, you might be interested in our EMAoL program.
The Reading Add-on Licensure is designed for professionals who have already completed a masters’ program in education or who are currently enrolled in a masters’ program and would like additional licensure as a reading specialist in grades K-12. The program requires 18 hours of course work in literacy at the masters level. Some of these hours may be completed as part of another masters’ degree such as Elementary Education, TESOL, or programs in the Department of Specialized Educational Services.
Welcome to the Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) program at UNCG. The TESOL program at UNCG offers several different options to prepare teacher candidates working in various English as a Second Language (ESL) or English as a Foreign Language (EFL) teaching environments.
If you are:
- an experienced teacher seeking additional ESL licensure and/or advanced degree
- a candidate who does not have an educational degree but would like to seek initial ESL licensure in NC
- a candidate seeking TESOL certificate to be able to teach in settings other than public schools (e.g. language institute, teaching English abroad, etc.)
Then, you might be interested in our TESOL program.